Careers in Health Sciences
If you are interested in a career in the Health Sciences, we have a Health Sciences Advisor who can assist you in course selection that will meet requirements for entrance into programs of your choice. Book an appointment.
Office: Biology Building, Room 333
Hours: by appointment
Hélène is also an Instructor in the Biology Department.
If you want to keep your options open for a career in the health sciences while completing your degree, you may want to ensure that you complete courses in general/introductory chemistry, biology, social sciences*, humanities* and possibly general physics (medicine, dentistry, vet medicine, physiotherapy). Some programs require all of these, while others have no specific course requirements other than to complete a 4-year degree or a specific number of credits/hours. Links are provided to help you make decisions on course selection and other requirements. If you still cannot find the answer to your questions, contact the school of interest directly or contact Hélène for help.
*Social science is the study of human society and behaviours. It includes courses such as sociology, psychology, economics, gender studies, history and political science to name a few.
*Humanities courses include creative writing, religion, philosophy, music, art, theatre...
Health Science Option
Although it is not a specific program offered at Acadia, this option is a collection of courses that provide a foundation for many programs in the health sciences following your studies at Acadia.
Students may complete the Health Sciences option in conjunction with the Bachelor of Science with Major, the Bachelor of Science with Honours, the Bachelor of Science in Nutrition (without dietetic option), the Bachelor of Science in Nutrition with Honours (without dietetic option), the Bachelor of Kinesiology or the Bachelor of Kinesiology with Honours.
- BIOL 1113 and BIOL 1123 or BIOL 1813 and BIOL 1823 or BIOL 1853 and BIOL 1863 or BIOL 2813 and BIOL 2823.
- CHEM 1013 and CHEM 1023 or CHEM 1113 and CHEM 1123.
- MATH 1013 and MATH 1023, or MATH 1213 and MATH 1223, or MATH 2233 and MATH 2243.
- PHYS 1013 and PHYS 1023 or PHYS 1053 and PHYS 1063.
- PSYC 1013 and PSYC 1023.
- SOCI 1033.
- 12h from: CHEM 2513, CHEM 2713 or CHEM 2773, COMP 1813, CREL 2443, HIST 2613, KINE 1413, KINE 2033, KINE 2413, KINE 2423, KINE 3013, NUTR 1313, NUTR 1323, NUTR 2013, NUTR 3513, NUTR 3523, PHIL 1413, PHIL 2713, PSYC 2113, PSYC 2123, PSYC 2133, PSYC 2153, SOCI 2343, SOCI 3263, SOCI 3733, SOCI 4263, WGST 1413.